Thursday, November 17, 2011

The very near future...

2013 Azera...


So with the L.A. Auto show about to start, the auto show season is officially up and running. So what is Hyundai up to? Well, I think its going to be quite an exciting show year. Hyundai has five models that they will be unveiling in the very near future. The Azera is the first one to be unveiled at the L.A. Auto show. I pulled some pics from the web. While not 100%, I'm fairly confident that we are looking at the production vehicle. I also know that Hyundai has a 3.3 GDI (293hp and 29 mpg on the highway) that will more then likely find its way into this car. With power and mileage up from the out going model, along with better looks, it should help move some units. The current model is sitting on an old platform and has been around since 2006 (It did have a face lift, but the interior and other tidbits have essentially stayed the same.) The new Azera will also use the SACHS system to adjust for road surfaces. This should improve  the ride quality and handling. Do not expect a canyon runner though, this is still grandpa's car.

 The interior is far superior then the outgoing model. The older version had hard plastics galore and the seats were not exactly supportive. The trim pieces were also very easy to scratch and could degrade the look of the interior quite quickly. With prices starting in the low 30k's, I'm not sure why somebody would want a near luxury FWD car anymore. The Genesis sedan 3.8 GDI is RWD and starts at essentially the same price. Although I have hear rumors over the years about the Azera getting AWD...and that would make it special!


2013 Elantra Coupe...



My buddies and I over at ElantraXD and Elantraclub have been waiting for this car for quite sometime. We often thought what it would be like to have our favorite cars turn into hot hatches. While CEO John Krafcik says that there is not going to be a sporty model to the Elantra Coupe (probably because of the #4 car on the list...the Veloster Turbo) I'm not going to rule out the possibility of maybe an R-spec E coupe. Perhaps even using the same 1.6 GDI turbo motor from the up and coming Veloster Turbo. My thinking is that some people do not like the third door or the somewhat funky looks of the Veloster (I personally LOVE IT! and will probably be putting on in my personal garage next year) and would prefer the looks of the Elantra. I can appreciate that. The car was set to debut at the L.A. Auto show along with the Azera but it was pushed back to the Chicago Auto show. I guess we have to wait a little longer, be we can use our imaginations for the time being.




2013 Santa Fe...



While I'm not particularly a fan of SUV's, the Santa Fe has always been a curious vehicle for me. Its odd shape and somewhat chunky interior was introduced in 2001. I was not really a fan of it and I thought its two tone body cladding was a bit odd, but over the years I have come to appreciate it. The 2.7 Delta was definitely the motor of choice for this vehicle. It also came with optional 2.4 Sirius and 3.5 Sigma, both were Mitsubishi design and electronics, were
horrible to work on and not very good on fuel. In 2007 the car had a make over and thankfully the interior and exterior were changed for the better. So were the motors. Hyundai used their 3.3 Lambda and a newer version of the 2.7 Delta. If you bought the base 2.7 Delta you could have it with a 5 speed manual. The first time I hopped into one of those, it was quite surreal. I thought it was pretty cool and if I were to buy one that would have been my motor and transmission of choice. While we see spy shots of the up and coming Santa Fe, I haven't read anywhere about where its going to be debut. If I had to take an educated guess...I'm thinking NYC Auto show. Fortunately for me, I'll be in the tri-state area once again and will be going to this show. While speculations have been made about what motors are going into this midsized SUV, I will venture that the 2.0 GDI Turbo motor from the sonata will be the base motor with the new 3.3 GDI making its rounds in the higher end models. This of course just coming from me and not really based in any sort of facts other then the trends that Hyundai has been setting. From the rough shots of the interior and exterior we can see that the outside will continue on with Hyundai's fluidic styling cues and same goes for inside the cabin. Perhaps maybe even a hybrid model (not sure you want to use the turbo motor for that one though.) I do  think that this will be the best one yet!


We have already talked about the last two vehicles. The 2013 Genesis coupe and the 2013 Veloster Turbo.


Far future...


Hyundai has been working on fuel cell technology for quite some time. They recently powered a 2011 Tuscon with a fuel cell and moved it across the USA. While hybrids are nice, I do not see them lasting too long. Please do not get me started on EV's. There lack of range and high sticker tags (even with government rebates as high as $7500 here in the States) do not make them accessible to the masses. Where are all of the charge stations? I would rather put money into Hydrogen fill stations rather  then charging stations. Who knows maybe both will flourish. EV's for around town and Hydrogen for cross country hikes. What I do know is that renewable sources need and should be implemented. Some of you will still be holding out and to be honest so will I, but there comes a point in time when the greater good trumps my need for speed.

This time for conservancy is NOT in my immediate future. I will be attending Xtreme Events Cars of Central Florida (also added them to my list of sites) Orlando meet this Saturday! I will also be driving another Genesis coupe sporting upgrades from Beyond Redline. AND I have trying to get my last test vehicle from great partners over at Coastal Hyundai.

No comments:

Post a Comment